SuperNova Sector
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SuperNova Sector

A sci-fi military roleplaying community for Garrysmod. We don't like any of you here. <3

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Drill Sergeant Whitelists

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Malak

Drill Sergeant Whitelists Empty
PostSubject: Drill Sergeant Whitelists   Drill Sergeant Whitelists Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 7:45 am

As I stated in my other suggestion thread and over some conversations with staff/humper, I believe drill sergeants should be a thing. So far, anyone can train anyone and right now, nobody really trains people after they move from Private to LCpl. I mean we do OCCASIONALLY, once in a century have company wide training which never really does anything more then a game of 21 questions and a competition of run around in a circle until your stamina depletes to zero.

I believe Drill Sergeants should exist, not to stop other people from training, but to enforce official training.

The idea is you guys can still do training yourselves, lead people, teach them about boots and laces. But a Drill Sergeant should be responsible for making sure someone is on the okay list for receiving a promotion - because lets face it, there's not really a system in place to make sure that Joe will be a good Corporal or not. So Drill Sergeants could be responsible for training the NCO's and they can post on a thread or whatever of people that did exceptional in their training(Idiot Tests.). People can then use those lists to help them get a better idea of who they should promote, as opposed to waiting for an event to end and then think "Fuck, which one of these nuggets do I promote?".

Also, I don't really trust every single NCO in the server to be able to train people, mainly  because it's not their responsibility to train, so they never do it since it seems pointless to them. But it'll become more important when people stop seeing training as just this boring task and instead, as a way to rise up the ranks faster then someone who never does training. Reward people who do participate, show initiative and are generally top notch roleplayers.

Also I can train potential D-Sgt's, make like a thread that can give them an idea of what they'd be teaching different people and what they should be looking for when they give someone a green thumb of approval.

This will probably not be easy to start off with, but once people get into it and it becomes routine, it'll be as regular as breathing and hopefully - this will give people more things to do during passive instead of 24/7 chess games and seduction RP.

"So we've both got buckets of chicken - you wanna do it?".

"Eh - okay.".
Back to top Go down
DDarius

DDarius

PostSubject: Re: Drill Sergeant Whitelists   Drill Sergeant Whitelists Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 4:21 pm

Yeah, sure. I like it. It has worked before in my experience.
People (including me reckoning) will fuck around less too, probably.
Back to top Go down
Smift

Smift

PostSubject: Re: Drill Sergeant Whitelists   Drill Sergeant Whitelists Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 2:07 pm

We've spoken about this before and I'm pretty sure admins said it wouldn't happen since it takes away from the focus, doesn't make sense ICly and also takes up a slot which could be spent on another Pvt which is more valuable in my view.

I do think that people whom rank up should be tested or at the very least given info they need to know.
Back to top Go down
Anthony Turner

Anthony Turner

PostSubject: Re: Drill Sergeant Whitelists   Drill Sergeant Whitelists Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 3:17 pm

It's always a good idea but the implementation isn't always easy, drill sergeants start not wanting to do drill sergeant-y stuff and the whole system goes awry, but, like I said, it has worked in the past for periods of time.
Back to top Go down
Malak

PostSubject: Re: Drill Sergeant Whitelists   Drill Sergeant Whitelists Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 2:19 am

Here's the thing, if you just let any pothead NCO have the authority to decide who should rank up and who should not, then you are kind of just acknowledging that it doesn't matter if capable people rise the ranks or not. Specific people need to be entrusted with the power to do official training and decide who's fit for promotion as well as who is not. It also places more trust into this system compared to letting anyone do it, because you know for a fact that those specific people know what they are doing and that they've been tested themselves.

If you aren't willing to take a risk and leave the safety of what you already have, then the server itself can eventually die prematurely as opposed to not dying at all. Doing the same thing every single day and never changing your servers 'formula' will NOT work out for you. It's important to try and improve what you have constantly, making it better then it was the previous day.
Back to top Go down
Humper

Humper

PostSubject: Re: Drill Sergeant Whitelists   Drill Sergeant Whitelists Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Malak wrote:
It's important to try and improve what you have constantly, making it better then it was the previous day.

Well, I myself do attempt to change up the situations accordingly with the way things run. Some promotions, I do find, do tend to not be what I accept or wish to happen, since my stance on promoting was usually keeping them for longer periods of times and not handing them out because "i did gud tudai".

Admins are given a slap in the face for such actions without my course action beforehand, and I will do as much. In regards to drill sergeants, maybe an instance of it may appear at sometime in the future, but as Smift said, I've been reluctant on it due to slot constraints, so it may become an occasional thing someone will run and play along with.

I'm fully willing to improve and jump outside of the box whenever possible, just constraints and sometimes a situational problem occurs when we do certain things. Though I don't give two hoots about what problem it'll make, it's usually easy to fix. But the suggestion you made is something that interests me.
Back to top Go down
https://supernovasector.forumotion.net
Malak

PostSubject: Re: Drill Sergeant Whitelists   Drill Sergeant Whitelists Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 3:08 am

You could always have Drill Sergeant work as a partial part of their role. For example, some regular S-Sgt is approved to be able to work as a Drill Instructor - so he's not limited to just training people as he can still be a regular sergeant and participate in events, etc. Might be more enticing to people if they don't have to feel like, whenever they use this specific character, it's only to do training.

The point of all of this is to essentially look at what a good HL2Rp server does with it's Civil Protection.

They don't really promote people for their shooting skills or ability to stand at a gate, that's just something that is expected - you need to do your job. They tend to promote people because they've proven themselves capable roleplayers or have excelled in training, etc, most of this capability is proven through someone's ability to roleplay passively. Because honestly, anyone can do combat RP, it's super simple to do - but passive as a NCO is a bit different.

Although it's nice to know that you wanted to change some things up and that you didn't support the "HEY YOU THERE, RANDOM GUY NAME I REMEMBER, HERE'S YOUR PROMOTION FOR DOING YOUR JOB DURING AN EVENT!.". It was seeing that during the end of a few events that I kind of felt like I needed to make this thread, because I looked at some of the people who were being promoted and sometimes I thought "The CO promoting this guy, probably never roleplays with him and he's just trying to promote the person who's least shit/memorable out of this group.".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drill Sergeant Whitelists   Drill Sergeant Whitelists Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drill Sergeant Whitelists
Page 1 of 1